Natural Family Health Care
You already know that spices can add some incredible taste sensations to your food – but did you also know that many spices have significant health benefits? In fact, many herbs and spices have been used for natural healing for thousands of years, and are still used today in place of medications that may cause unwanted or adverse side effects. And…they are fat-free and extremely low in calories!
Some herbs and spices that are better known for their healthy properties include:
• Cinnamon – Helps stop the growth of bacteria and fungi in the body and may help to increase brain function. It is also reduces blood sugar levels in diabetics and helps to lower cholesterol. As for antioxidants that help fight disease, cinnamon ranks at the top as an antioxidant source.
• Parsley – Known for its cancer-fighting properties, parsley is also rich in antioxidants and heart healthy vitamin C and beta-carotene.
• Ginger – Great for digestive health, ginger is used to calm motion sickness and stomach upsets associated with pregnancy. Ginger is another spice with antioxidant properties.
• Turmeric – The spice that gives the yellow color to mustard, turmeric is also loaded with antioxidants and it may help to guard against cancer and the inflammation that contributes to joint problems and Alzheimer’s.
• Oregano – Armed with powerful antibacterial compounds, oregano helps fight infection and, when eaten fresh, has more antioxidant properties, per gram, than apples, blueberries, oranges and potatoes!
Many spices have been around for centuries, and were used for all types of medicinal purposes long before the first pharmacy ever appeared on the scene. Maybe our ancient ancestors were wiser than we give them credit for!
As you know, we chiropractors seek to help your body heal itself without drugs or surgery. Herbs and spices, mixed in with chiropractic care, proper diet, sleep, and a lot of laughter – these are the ingredients of a great meal and healthy lifestyle!